I’ve been experimenting with Popfly this weekend. Here’s what I have learned:
- Popfly is an alpha invite only program. You can request an invite directly and some members have invites they can bestow upon others.
- Popfly uses Silverlight 1.0. If you install Silverlight 1.1, it won’t work.
- You ‘ll want to download the SDK (the block building guide), which contains a really useful PDF that covers the basics.
- There’s an add-in for Visual Studio 2005 called Popfly Explorer that allows you to create Popfly projects in Visual Studio. There’s a sample solution in the SDK.
- You’ll also want to look at some of the blocks that have already been written.
- Popfly is a baseball term that means a high fly ball that can be easily caught, apparently.
Let’s just remember that this is only in Alpha. When it’s in full flow – with debugging, intellisense, .NET Support (including the IronLanguage family, I hope), shiny blue LEDS and so forth – it could very well be incredible.